What Happens At a Checkup?
At every checkup, we take a detailed look at your teeth to check for cavities. But since your teeth work together with all the other structures in your mouth, we look closely at everything else as well. Here’s what’s included in each checkup:
- A review of your medical history
- X-rays as needed (typically once per year) to help us find problems when they’re small and easy to treat
- An oral cancer screening
- TMJ evaluation
- An annual gum evaluation so we can find gum disease early on and begin the right treatment as soon as possible
- A professional cleaning and polish
- Oral hygiene tips to help you be more effective between visits
- Lastly, Dr. Sadeghi does a dental exam to assess your teeth and existing dental work and answer any questions you may have
When you schedule preventive care regularly, we’re able to reduce the amount of time and money you spend in the dental chair.
What Can You Expect From a Cleaning?
No matter how well you do with brushing and flossing, everyone needs a little extra help to remove plaque and tartar from hard-to-reach areas. These deposits build up under the gumline and are largely made of bacteria that cause bad breath, gum disease, and cavities. By getting 6-month cleanings with one of our friendly hygienists, you can avoid these problems and keep your smile looking great.
After we’ve reviewed your medical and dental history, taken any necessary images, and examined your gums, we’ll use special instruments to gently remove any plaque and tartar. Then we’ll polish your teeth so they look and feel great and also discuss the best way to keep everything clean at home.
How Often Should You Schedule?
Most of our patients do well with checkups and cleanings every six months. However, if you have gum disease or certain health conditions, you may benefit from more frequent cleanings every 3-4 months. In some cases, insurance may even cover these additional visits, so it doesn’t hurt to check your plan or contact our office with any questions.
As a dentist in East Dallas, we want to help you have great oral health for as long as possible. If you’d like to be proactive with your smile, give us a call to schedule a checkup and cleaning today!