What is Scaling & Root Planing?
To determine if scaling & root planing is a necessary procedure, Dr. Sadeghi will perform a full examination of your entire mouth, checking your teeth and gums. If necessary, she will suggest x-rays to view what problems are occurring beneath the visible portions of your mouth. Some of the factors that can determine if you need this type of dental procedure include:
- The condition of your gums
- The amount of tartar present
- The depth of your gum pockets
- The periodontitis progression
Once she concludes that you need scaling & root planing, you will receive local anesthesia or sedation, depending on your individual needs.
During the scaling portion of the procedure, you can expect your dentist in East Dallas to remove any plaque and tartar that is attached to the surface of your teeth. Targeting the area beneath the gum line, near the root, we’ll use a specialized tool to remove the bacterial infection and prevent it from returning.
Once scaling is complete, we’ll move on to root planing. This removes the cementum and surface dentin, smoothing the root of your tooth. Not only does this encourage healing, but it helps to prevent bacteria from forming in the future.
Why is the Procedure Beneficial?
Apart from taking back your gum health, scaling & root planing are beneficial because:
- It helps to prevent future disease
- It prevents infection from entering the bloodstream and causing other serious health conditions such as heart attack and stroke
- Gum disease can result in tooth loss, so by having a scaling & root planing procedure, you are saving your natural teeth.
- You’ll have a more aesthetically pleasing smile. No one likes bad breath or stained teeth, so you can expect this method of gum disease therapy to address those issues, giving you a beautiful, healthy smile.
Without proper treatment, periodontitis, if left untreated, can quickly progress, leaving you with the potential for bone and tooth loss. Don’t let this happen to you. Contact us to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sadeghi and let a thorough scaling & root planing put your oral health back on track.